LOCATION: El Dorado Mexican Restaurant—Alamo, TX
OFFICERS PRESENT: Rick Michelena (President), John Pief (Vice-President), Randy Sweeten (Treasurer), Alex Herz, (Safety Officer)
TOTAL MEMBERS AND GUESTS: 13
· President Rick Michelena called the meeting to order at 7:18 PM as dinner ended. He also mentioned that he would record the club meeting minutes in the absence of Tejas R/C Secretary Terry Maruska. (More information to follow)
· Michelena informed the member’s that Terry Maruska had contacted him before the meeting began. Terry stated that his wife was in the hospital and it was very serious. It was later learned that Jeneice Maruska passed away that evening. On behalf of the Tejas R/C Association, we want to extend our deepest condolences to Terry at this time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
· Michelena stated that Tejas R/C web master (Daniel Galeana) does a tremendous job of keeping the club website up to date. Michelena then asked the members present if they had read the previous meeting’s minutes. They affirmed that they had, and the previous month’s minutes were unanimously accepted.
· Tejas R/C Treasurer presented a very detailed treasurer’s report. He noted that all members should have received a report by email mailed that afternoon. The Treasurer’s report was unanimously accepted.
ORDER OF CLUB BUSINESS:
· Michelena discussed the recent outer perimeter mowing that was completed by a farmer in San Juan. All agreed that the field looked great, and it was accepted that another round of mowing be accomplished in October in anticipation of our Winter Texan member’s arrival.
· Michelena discussed the great day of flying that occurred this past Saturday. At least 12 or more members and their guests participated. However, Sunday attendance was down sharply. Kurt Yundt had suggested that with the increased heat, he would like to have at least one day of rest. It was agreed that this summer’s “Saturdays” would be the primary fly day unless the weather does not co-operate where as, we would fly the very next day. It was noted that any member is welcomed to fly on any day they desire. Please do not fly alone and exercise safety if you do. However, most local members will likely fly only one day a week.
· Bill Gaston led a discussion on an AMA requirement that numbers be displayed on member’s aircraft, and asked if other club members would follow these rules. Michelena stated that a common practice of his was to place a business card under the receiver along with AMA number and contacted information. This is an equally accepted method.
· Michelena discussed the usage of a simple checklist discipline to prevent accidents. He mentioned a preflight check of control surface hinges and flight control direction, battery level, and TRIM position before taking off. He mentioned that several recent accidents were caused by these situations.
· John Pief discussed several issues. He asked for the toilet to be serviced. John currently mails the water bill. Randy Sweeten will inquire about paying the bill on-line in order to save postage. John will be reimbursed for any postage due. He also mentioned that RGV Flyers will host a fly-in on May 12th.
· Randy Sweeten discussed the possibility of hosting an indoor electric fly-in as a way of introducing young people to this hobby. He has some connections with the Dodge Arena and will have more information in the future.
· Michelena announced that Terry Maruska had received Dr. John Rohn’s club president patches. However, due to the sudden death of Terry’s wife, these will be presented later.
· All agreed that the El Dorado Mexican Restaurant had great food. The back meeting room was also very quiet and provided a great atmosphere for our meeting. With its central valley location, we hope to have all further meetings there.
With no further business to discuss, Dr. John Rohn made a motion, and the meeting was adjourned at 7:46 PM.
2013 Tejas R/C President`